The Reconnaissance Japan Program

Visa Application

After you have been admitted to the Reconnaissance Japan Program, J. F. Oberlin University will next apply on your behalf to the Japanese Ministry of Justice for a "Certificate of Eligibility." This Certificate is similar to the I-20 form issued by American universities to students coming to the United States for study. It generally takes about five or six weeks for the Ministry to issue a Certificate of Eligibility. Immediately after J. F. Oberlin University receives the Certificate from the government, we will forward it to the study abroad office at your home institution. You must then obtain a Student Visa from the nearest Japanese Consulate or Embassy. With the Certificate of Eligibility and a valid passport, you should be able to obtain a Student Visa within a few days.